Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Midnight call

Lately, Qi Ning has been very clingy. Even at night in her sleep she will be calling for me and if I don't response to her by going near her and lie next to her, she would starts crying. Or she would sit up and starts crying for mummy! If I go staright to her when she calls for me, usually she will continue on sleeping or sometimes ask for comfort nursing. This usually happens few times a night, aiyo, worst then when she was a baby! Is it separation anxiety I dunno but mummy is getting all the panda bear. So now I am wondering if this is because I began to let her sleep on a mattress next to our bed on her own or wat? But even when she was co-sleeping with us, she also will ask for comfort nursing a couple of time.
Some people has recommended cry it out method to let her not get into the habit of comfort nursing and the midnight call. But I don't think I have a heart to really try that. I tried giving her water in replace of the comfort nursing, it didn't work. When I give her the water, she will say "no" and ask for nen nen , even in her sleep! So I think mummy is going to have a hard time weaning her and also have to attend to her midnight call just like doctor on call!
Talk about cry it out, I sort of have an expereince when she was 1 mth plus. It was one of my friend who actually try to help me to get Qi Ning to sleep/nap on her own. So, one day when she was visiting me, it was abt Qi Ning nap time, she wanted to show how to put Qi Ning to sleep on her own and it was the cry it out method. I usually will hold Qi Ning and gently rock her, sing to her and only put her down to sleep when she doze off in my arm. But this particular day, I am going to learn to just put her on her cot and pat her to sleep. Poor little baby doesn't like that and she cries her lung out. I was told to let her cry and soon she will learn that it didn't work. She cried for quite a while and to be frank I was quite heart-ache to have her cry for so long and so loud. But since my friend was suppose to be an expert in child care, I just let her continue on "teaching" Qi Ning to sleep on her own.
To me, cry it out method does not really work. I just can't bear to see the little one protest so loudly. So I am still using my own way of bringing Qi Ning to her dreamland. Since we don't use sarong craddle, we would pat her and sometime rock her to sleep for her nap time. At night, she want to be nurse, sometime she want to be nurse till she sleep, sometime she would play till she sleep. I don't know if what I do contribute to her habit of midnight call or comfort nursing, I know I would be more stressed if I follow all the book method! So just let it be my way of dealing with her midnight call! hehehehe...

6 comments:

Egghead said...

I guess is difficult to nurse till sleep... but my wife is doing it... and most of the time she will sleep before my son sleeps :)

Mumsgather said...

I'm a doc on call too. hehehe. They will outgrow it eventually. I find it so much easier to answer the call then everybody goes right back to sleep then to have them cry loudly and everyone awake frustrated. I'm still on night duty for My Boy but My Girl has long outgrown it. So no worries lah.

ZMM said...

Control crying will not work for little babies.. (as they still do not know how to communicate and 'manipulate') however, with bigger babies it should work.

I couldn't bring myself to do control crying too. Yeah, like Mumsgather, I prefer to respond to her, so we can quickly all go back to sleep.

blinka.Li said...

hmmm looks like all mummies preferred to attend to bb like an on-call-doc..wonder how come they even start to recommend the 'control-crying' theories. Does it really work? any mummy tried and succeeded?

Contented Mum said...

Egghead:
I am the same, fall asleep b4 Qi Ning does! :)

mumsgather:
I agree with u, is easier for everybidy and I sure hope this phase will pass! :)

Zara: Ditto

blinka.li: Beat me! I guess most mum will find it difficult to let their precious one cry it out!

Allyfeel said...

I got so fed up once with bb doin that to me, I ignored him and he cried for half and hour, after that he slept like a pig the next day and day after. :)