Monday, February 20, 2006

"Frustration and Pis (please)!"

Starting last week, I notice that Qi Ning begins to show one other emotion strongly ie frustration/anger beside the usual happy and sad. It happens when I took away the toy that she repeatedly throw on the floor despite being told not to. When I took away the toy, she began to clasp her two hand together and begin to pull as if doing a tug of war with her own two hands, of course couple with protesting cry! Actually, I feel "xin tong" (heart ache) to see her doing that but discipline still need to be in place.
Another very tough situation for me is when she keep saying "pis" (her please) to request for things that she is not suppose to have. For example, last Wednesday evening, we were at church and there were people playing table tennis. She was very excited and during the break, the kind uncle yap let her have a goes at the table tennis by putting her on the table tennis table and give her the bat and the ping pong. she was enjoying it. then later when they resume the game, she gave back the bat and ping pong ball, stood aside and watch them play. Few minute into the game, she began her "pis" request ( we teach her to say "please" when she wanted something), she wanted the ping pong ball, that particular one that is going to and fro the table! She tug at her hands again when her request was not fulfilled and keep on her "pis" repeatedly!! Is hard to refuse when she keep saying "pis". She is at the stage where she begins to know how to demand and make her request known. She sure knows what she want or don't want!
Training and teaching a toddler sure require lots of wisdom and patient! May God grant me both!!

8 comments:

Egghead said...

at least she said "pis" mah :P
is good to see children who knows what they want :)

Jess said...

hehe..me cannot resist their request too when they keep repeating "pis"..:P..what a soft heartened mummy!

lisaOne said...

it's good Qi Ning voice out her demand ..altho' there are times when it's inappropriate...it's part of their learning process...
moreover, she is so polite to say "pis"....

jazzmint said...

very polite to use pls..make you hard to refuse right :)..guess it's time to tell her also what is can what is cant what is pls can get and what pls oso cant get...sounds cruel hehehe

Mumsgather said...

yah, when they say "please" very hard to refuse becos they will find it hard to understand "how come mummy asked me to say "please" when I want something but when I say "please" I don't get it? kesiannnya but slowly they will learn when we teach them. My Girl is always asking "please" as well. We also taught her how to say "Excuse me" when she wants to interrupt a conversation and now she does it all the time ie say "Excuse me" as soon as hubby and I start talking. (*rolls eyes*)

ZMM said...

Hey Zara does something similar too.. When she's angry, she clenches her fists very hard and goes, "URGH!!"

I normally will try to distract her with something else.. or explain to her why she cannot have something.

But I think at this age, they are trying to exert themselves and trying to see how far they can go.

Allyfeel said...

In this case I will always divert their attention to other things hoping they don't create much commotion in front of others.

It's a passing phase. She will outgrown it. Not too worried about it. I know, the sweet "please"...:)

Contented Mum said...

Egghead:
That's why sometime is so hard to say "no" to her b'cas of her "pis" lo!

Jesslyn:
That's why I have to remind myself to do the right thing and not to be too soft hearted! very tempted to give in to her "pis" many time!

Two Little Fellas:
she is very good in voicing her demand nowadays, indeed amazing to her grow!

Jazzmint:
Ya lor but discipline still have to in place or else susah nanti! Usually daddy let me be the bad guy! :(

Mumsgather:
Exactly, I think she probably wondering why her "pis" don't get what she wants now. Slowly hopefullly, she learnt that we don't get all that we want with Please!!

Zara Mama:
I was told that at this age, they begins to realise that they are a separate individual, thus all the demand!! individual right mah!!

Joan_G:
Thanks, she is adorable, at least to me!! hehehehe

Allyfeel:
Thanks for the assurance!