Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"Mummy I likes you"

On Monday morning when I get ready for work after the long CNY break, Qi Ning saw me changing and she came over and hold on to me and refuse to let me change. She was crying and ask me not to go to work, so I hug her and try to reason with her. In the midst of her crying, she say, "Mummy I likes you, don't go to office". I was taken aback by this statement as how my words stay in her little mind. I can't remember exactly when was it but I did say something to the effect that since you don't like mummy, is better for mummy to go to office. I remember only saying this once or twice during the time when I was home with her and she was not complying to my demand of lying down for her afternoon nap.
I felt rather quilty when she blurted out that statement on Monday morning. It got me into reflecting on my parenting style, if I have been using too much of threat in my parenting. I also realise how my words can affect my little girl. So I better be careful of what I say to her especially when I am angry or irritated. I do wannna be a good mum but at time I do make mistake. So my dear Qi Ning, if mummy's words has cause you to feel insecure, I am sorry.
Thank God that kids are very resilient and forgiving. After the monday morning episode, she is ok with me going back to work now. She resume her commando role of comanding mummy to hug and kiss everyone at home before I leave for work.

3 comments:

Mumsgather said...

Oh my goodness, you're making me guilty now. I use threats all the time!

jazzmint said...

she's a sensitive kid :)

ZMM said...

I'm experiancing the same thing too..

I tell her.. if you don't like mummy then you go and sleep with Kakak because she's starting to say I don't like mummy when I don't give in to her demands.. :(