Tuesday, May 02, 2006

To keep or not to keep the temporarily maid

About 11 days ago, we took a temporarily maid to help up at home. The agent say if we think she is ok, we can keep her. Have been observing her for the past weeks. For the first week, there were twice she woke up just before we get down for breakfast i.e 7.30am. Water is not boiled, her morning chores not done! She smile sheepishly and say "saya baru bangun" (just wake up), even after we have given her an alarm clock and is very sure that the alarm clock is working! Ask her if the alarm clock rings she say yes. We ask her to wake up at 6.00am or not later than 6.30am as per agent instruction but there are days that it doesn't seem to work!
She has improved in some of the task since the day she comes and seems to be eager to please us. She is not the smart type and does not take initiative in doing things. Even when you want to shows her how to do certain task, she will stand there and watch till you ask her to be involved!
We took her to the church retreat at Fraser Hill over the long weekend. There were three other maids, even those other maid told us not to keep her, saying she is inexperience and doesn't know how to do things.
For me, I do see her trying to do her best but I don't know whether is her nature or she is really slow, she just don't follow. You have to repeat and repeat for days then she will get it! I brought her to my sis-in-law place last Sunday, she has had maids for many years, her comment is that it seem like an attitude problem after she observe how my maid work in the kitchen for the evening.
I am not a very fussy person, I just want someone who can help do the housework and help to look after Qi Ning when I requires her to do so. Being a young girl she is not experience in taking care of little one. Ask her to help look after Qi ning she would normally just sit there with Qi ning or stand there looking at her. Told her, she has to communicate with Qi Ning and play with her if not Qi Ning would not want her. She is still not very good with Qi Ning yet.
So I am toying with the idea maybe I should not keep her. At the same time, I feel sorry for her. If I reject her, then this is her third time being rejected by an employer. I see that she is trying hard but somehow, I am not sure if she will continue to try hard when we take her on permanently! Her nature seem to be very lay back and I am not sure when our second baby arrive year end, with her slowness if she would be a help or a source of frustration! If I follow majority vote, she will have to go, if I let my heart have a say, I feel sorry for her and may keep her for trying hard but if I allowed my rational mind to be involved, then I may follow the majority. Hubby and I are undecided, we agreed we should observe her for a little longer b4 we decide! What do you say my blogger friends?!

8 comments:

lisaOne said...

don't keep her. i can see that you are a kind person but she is to take care of your kids and you have to be sterned.

(1) she was rejected 3x and that call for concerns
(2) she is not doing her job properly even on probation period and she can only get worst
(3) most importantly, i doubt her ability to take proper care of Qi Ning

anyway, i don't have a maid and hence, you may need to discount my word but when it comes to my kids- i will never compromise.

Mumsgather said...

You have another baby coming along so you will need someone who can really help with the babies and around the house. You say she is trying hard but it doesn't sound to me like she is trying very hard. I know its hard not to feel sorry for her but you have to remember that you are hiring a helper, someone to help you around the house so you can get more done so if you get someone that gives you more headache, in the end you may have to send her back halfway through her contract or something like that which may be even worse off so do observe and choose wisely. All the best.

jazzmint said...

aiyo...susah leh, if me sure won't keep. Not to be cruel but just to set my limits what is tolerable and what's not. Usually when a maid start work, if she really wanna work, she should show initiative..but seems like she's not into that.

mom2ashley said...

i say go with your instincts...if you dont have a good feeling about her....your instincts would usually be right. common, she will be staying in YOUR house, doing YOUR household chores..handling water, food and baby or (babies). if you have doubts, you better give this a pass...

Allyfeel said...

It's also a lot to do with luck ler. But in this case you have a choice. Make the right choice. My current maid is my 3rd one. First one sounds like the one you described but she clean very well however, terribly slow and spoilt things too in long term especially eletronic stuff. Her mind wonders as well, this was the reason we sent her away.

2nd maid, Very Smart, Very fast, full of initiative but haha... knows how to think of her own future, home maid not good for her, she decided to run away.

3rd maid, works for a kuih seller employer before. Never got pay for more than 6 months. She was assigned to us as tempt basis too. But she has the eagerness to learn and I could see she has good nature.So we decided to take her in. But the procedure of converting her under us took such long time, not to mentioned about the money spent.
Touch wood, but so far so good. Little one likes her as well, she plays and spent time with bb, I cld see her improvement day by day.

It's also better to take in younger maid. Not later than 26 yrs old. They click better with kids and much more energetic with house whole chores.

Just remember you have a choice. Good Luck!

Contented Mum said...

Hi Kawan kawan sekalian: Thanks for the words of advise. Will seriously look for alternative and consider what has been said by all! :)

Montessorimum said...

you cannot sympathize the maid to be rejected again, because she just can't perform and you must place own interest first and for Qi Ning's benefit.

I have 3 very unpleasant experiences with maids until the one I'm having now.( eventhough I'm very chin chai person just want an extra hand to help out)

my 2nd maid told me she didn't know how to take care of newborn. 2 weeks b4 I delivered my 2nd baby, she ran away.

my 3rd maid, lazy..dun call, wont do, even show already also dont know how to do. So we returned her.

Just remember, you have paid alot to the agency. And you deserve the best service/maid they can provide. Never opt for a rejected one.

ZMM said...

Yeah.. sometimes we have to be selfish and think of ourselves too..

Showing kindness to her may risk your position later.